This is coming from a guy who was a pastor in 2 different churches for a total 10 years. Believe me when I say that I have asked the question many times to God, “Seriously, why the church?” Don’t get me wrong, I love the church. I love the people of the church. I believe the message of hope, grace, mercy, and salvation that the church delivers. I literally though scratch my head and wonder what God was thinking. It will be one of my questions to God when I get to heaven.
Before you read the next section I want you to know that I know that the church is ordained by God. God decided and not man that the church would be the ultimate vehicle in delivering the life changing message of Jesus Christ. I believe in this message and I devote almost all my time trying to fix the issues I bring up in the section to follow. (no hate mail please)
Here are 10 reasons why God shouldn’t use the church to teach about his love:
- The church is made up of imperfect people who make a lot of mistakes
- People like me are hired to help out and minister to local communities all over the world.
- We fight to much about things that don’t matter.
- We don’t fight enough for the things that do matter.
- Pastors and people in church make the church to much about them and not about God.
- We think to much about our needs and not the needs of the people in the community
- We are way to territorial and think that we are always right.
- To many times we would rather judge than love.
- We hurt as much as we give hope.
- We want blessings but don’t want to receive grace or do that little thing called obedience.
If you couldn’t tell by now but the Yellow part of the Orange strategy is the church. As I wrote yesterday, the Red side of things is messy. The Yellow side of things might be messier. Is it possible that 2 negatives make a positive? I believe it might be possible but only when there is a clear strategy and a whole lot of room for error.